Day 13: Boy Rangers and CeltX

Today I did two things.

Fictional Organization Names

The first was chose the name for my scouting organization. Believe it or not, you can’t just put the boy scouts in the movie because the organization owns the trademark. Since it was doubtful they would accept my movie, I had to come up with a name for a similar scouting organization so that nobody thinks the Boy Scouts of America had anything to do with my movie. Let me make it clear in this blog post: I am not affiliated with that organization nor is Eternal Camping an official boy scout film. There is no relationship between me and the BSA.

So I decided to think about what to name them. Since this is set in Texas and the characters are all named after Texas cities and/or towns, I decided to keep the Texas influence alive. What’s one of the most famous Texas organizations out there? The Texas Rangers. Inspired by their name, I decided to name my fictional scouting organization after them (once again the Texas Rangers are not affiliated with his project at all). The name I went with is: Boy Rangers. I checked with a couple of organizations online and as far as I can tell nobody owns the rights to that name.

It’s not a completely original name (it used to be an actual organization at some point and Colombia used it in a couple of their films) but I feel like it fits Eternal Camping in a way no other name could.


The second thing I did is create the CeltX project file for Eternal Camping. Once I had a project, I started doing some housekeeping. I created a title page. A small step but it’s one that makes the project come alive in a way that it hadn’t before. The title page doesn’t just tell you who wrote it or what the script is called: it is a proclamation of the project’s existence.

If you aren’t familiar with the Celtx software then you know there is a master catalog that is supposed to help you keep track of everything. What is useful in the writing phase is that it keeps track of characters. It automatically creates characters as you write them but you can also do it ahead of time. Anytime you start to write dialog for the character, it’ll give you the option to auto-complete which I’ve found to be very useful. So I went ahead and created manual character templates.

Finally, CeltX also offers a nifty Index Card feature. Each scene gets its own card and you can manually re-organize the whole script this way: it automatically shifts any scenes you may or may not have written yet in the script. It also allows me to provide an area of “notes” which I use to summarize what happens in that scene. When actually writing the scene, I can also easily see what the scene is about on the left side of the screen. So what I did today was take all of the scenes from the plot outline and put them in there.

Now I’ll still be checking the plot outline to ensure I’m on track generally with page counts and because it has other useful information. The index card feature merely complements the plot outline.


So the script writing phase begins with me doing technical work on the CeltX side and choosing the name of a fictional scouting organization. On Monday, I’ll write the first scenes. I don’t know about you but I’m excited!